Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Sister's Keeper

Last weekend, I read Jodi Picolet's My Sister's Keeper. This was an incredible story about two sisters: the older with leukemia and the younger who was conceived as a genetic donor to save her sister's life. The story is told from the perspectives of the multiple family members and friends affected by this struggle for life. This story shows that ethical questions about genetics and drastic measures to prolong life are more than mere philosophical discussions. These stories affect the lives of people, the people they love, and their own desires for autonomy and justice.

All of this and it was simply a beautifully told story that pulled me into its grip and didn't let me go until I read it from start to finish in one day. In exploring stories like these, medical researchers learn to think about more than just the facts and consider the lives and loves that hang in the balance.

No comments: