Monday, May 9, 2011

The importance of communication in clinical research

I think I finally have the Association of Clinical Research Professionals convinced about the importance of communication in clinical research. I had the privilege to present at the conference for the second time last week in Seattle. When submitting my proposals the last 2 years, I had to somehow fit my passion for communication in clinical research into one of ACRP's educational categories that didn't quite fit. I have submitted under the "ethics in clinical research" and "clinical research education" categories, but neither really acknowledged the important role of communication in this field. I knew how important effective communication behaviors and techniques are to things like effective informed consent and productive team management, but I wanted a platform to share my experience and expertise with my colleagues. My proposals were accepted but I felt like a bit of an oddball at a conference very concerned with government and clinical regulations. But this year we seem to have had a breakthrough. I had a great turnout and great discussion in my session on using communication theory to improve informed consent. The discussion both in and out of the session was robust. Attendees seemed eager to learn practical tools for integrating better communication processes in the clinical research world.

But more than my presentation, I've seen more presentations and discussion about the role of communication in both the management and execution of clinical research trials. So much so, that in the call for proposals for the ACRP 2012 conference, ACRP has suggested the category "communication in clinical research." I am excited to be a part of the growing interest in this field. And I will definitely be in Houston in 2012!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you buy a pair of shoes fromOnitsuka Tiger Shoes, another pair is donated to needy children in different parts of the world. The lack of Tiger Shoes can contribute to the spread of disease and the prevention of educational opportunities, and the company aims to reduce those problems with its mission. You can find comfortable slip-ons or even lace-up boots. The classic true religion
style is a functional, slip-on canvas loafer.Louis Vuitton Sale

ketz said...

The discussion both in and out of the session was robust. Attendees seemed eager to learn practical tools for integrating better communication processes in the clinical research world.

Money for clinical research