Monday, May 17, 2010

Communication theory in the informed consent process

I learned so much from the ACRP Global Conference in Tampa last month that I am already making plans for what I want to present at next year's conference (and the fact that ACRP 2011 is in Seattle is extra motivation). I realized that I bring a particular skill set to the clinical research educational setting: my background in communication theory. I was not the only presenter who discussed communication at the ACRP 2010 conference. Several other speakers focused more on the soft communication skills, but I saw a need for a discussion of how communication theory can inform the most important conversation that takes place in the research encounter: the informed consent.

One of the theories I am going to integrate into my presentation next year is Uses and Gratifications Theory. The theory is usually used in studies of people's media use and habits, but I believe it is an important consideration when having an informed consent conversation. It is tempting for research staff to think of potential research participants as empty vessels waiting to be filled with information. But every potential participant brings their own agenda to the conversation and will seek, find and attend to selected information. It is a valuable piece of information to consider when informing potential participants about participating in a particular study. I look forward to the opportunity to bring communication theory into the research professionals conversation.

No comments: