Tuesday, October 20, 2009

How do food companies define health food?

The Food and Drug Administration has sent a warning to food manufacturers about the criteria they are using to label foods "healthy." The FDA is concerned that too many healthy labels without clear criteria for defining what is healthy may confuse consumers. And some obviously unhealthy foods have been defined as a healthy using the manufacturers own standards.

The article about the warning made me chuckle, if only because I immediately thought of my least favorite commercial on television right now. I yelled at the television the first time I saw this commercial. Something to the effect of "You've got to be kidding me!" That's right, Kellogg's is trying to market Froot Loops as a healthy food. "They make your tummy happy." Sure, fiber is good, but I don't think health is Froot Loops best selling point.




What do you think? Does the FDA need to step in and set standards for what manufacturers call healthy food?

No comments: