Tuesday, May 27, 2008

When hostility melts

I really appreciated the Cases article in today's New York Times Health section by Dr. Godfrey Onime. He described the very personal reaction he had to a patient's family that initially greeted him with hostility, but later realized the quality of care he provided and asked him to the patient's new primary care doctor. He described how it is hard to not take the hostility personally when patient families are advocating for their patient. But the hostility can be forgotten when the family and doctor come to see eye-to-eye.

You can find the article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/27/health/views/27case.html?ex=1369540800&en=0831cbb37433c8b6&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink.

I especially appreciated this since sometimes I am greeted with harsh or short words when I am trying to get physicians to participate in our study to improve communication. Most of the time, the hostility isn't at me, per se, but just at how busy the day is and having to answer yet another phone call. But often times the hostility melts when they realize I am interrupting their busy day for a good cause. And who am I to stay annoyed with the doctor who was a little short with me, if he or she decides to enroll in our study? It's all a part of a day's work.

No comments: