Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Empathy in communication

With physicians pressed for time, it can be difficult enough to effectively communicate with patients, let alone communicate with empathy. Most physicians realize it is important to speak empathetically, but many fail in their efforts.

One of the indicators of quality physician communication we are testing at MCW is empathy. One of the scales we looked at comes from Robert Smith, MD and his book The Patient's Story. Smith uses the mnemonic NURS to help physicians effectively empathize with patients.

Name the emotion: "That sounds sad for you."

Understand the patient's emotion: "I've never had this happen, but I can see how deeply it hurts."

Respect the patient's difficulties: "I like the way you've hung in there and kept fighting."

Support the patient and show this is a partnership: "I'm here to help any way I can. Together, you and I can get to the bottom of this."

Small steps can make a world of difference in making a patient feel confident in the words and actions of his or her physician.

No comments: